The Donna National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer Recap

I ran my first marathon on Sunday, February 10, 2019 in Jacksonville Florida. It was The Donna National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer and this is their twelfth year. Last year I ran the half marathon there. I raised a couple hundred dollars for that one but this time I raised $1300.00. The funds raised by them is used to fund research at the Mayo clinic and to support those being treated for breast cancer who need assistance. This is the largest breast cancer run in the USA with 7000 people participating in the various distances of runs. My wife went to be with The Lord in 2017 after 14 years of fighting breast cancer so this is an important cause for me. I do not want my daughter or grand daughter or anyone else to suffer from this disease.
         I decided to do the full 26.2 miles of this race in May of 2018 and signed up then. I then started increasing my running distance each week up to the week before the race. I had run three half marathons in the past two years and after each had suffered with knee pain, but had maintained a 1:55 average finish time. So, in May I was running 3-4 days per week at 3-5 miles each and around 20 per week. I increased weekly and even when winter set in I continued to run outside as much as possible. I usually ran 5 days per week. Each run 5 miles minimum and one run of 9-11 miles. Most of my runs were on trails in several areas but as winter days shortened, I found most days I would go to a soccer complex 3 miles from where I work to run before it was dark. They have a great trail system there and plenty of roads to run as well. Two months before the marathon I was up to 30-35 miles per week, sometimes 6 days per week. I often ran until after dark and even at 5 in the morning if a storm or super cold weather was coming. I managed to be outdoors running most days averaging one day a week on the treadmill, which I despise.
           I ran the  Hokie Half Marathon in September and was surprised to finish with a personal record of 1:50 and no pain afterwards. None. The increase in mileage was paying off. 37 miles three weeks before and then 20 miles 2 week before and 3 miles the week before.
         I worried a lot about the 'wall'. I did not know what to expect at this distance, twice as far as I had run before. I had not been able to get any runs in like recommended before a marathon. But, I headed to the start line at 5AM to find out. 4000 people started the combined half and full marathon in the cool weather in a downtown start. It was designed to run through several beach communities that try to out do each other with runner support. The first 13 miles went quick and the support from the communities was terrific. Many people offered snacks, drinks, fruit and even beer and mimosas. A local TV station covered the event for over 6 hours, a helicopter hovered overhead all morning and even a plane towed a banner with an encouraging message.
      As we approached the start/finish line again, 3400 half marathon people peeled off towards the finish line and 740 of us full marathoners kept going south towards Ponte Vedra for 6 1/2 miles. I was feeling good after the 13 and ready to continue. There was often a hundred yards between runners now. The crowd support was good but very reduced. There were blocks with dozens of supporters with banners and signs but also empty blocks. At one point we went behind a beach side church and the congregants were gathered along the route, some offering communion to runners.
 
Finisher and Fundraiser Medals 
     At 18 miles, I maintained a 9 1/2 minute pace but that's when the weariness and minor pain started. I slowed some at that point but had seen my family once and they had some black jelly beans for me which I had saved for a pick me up. I saw them again at the turn around at mile 20. After the turn back for the last 6 miles, the wind picked up, hitting us in the face. I was walking more at this point but was able to stay at
a 10 - 11 1/2 minute mile pace for the remainder. Even though physically I was tired and had sore joints, I never had a time when psychologically I doubted I could continue or finish. I never hit the wall. I was tired and sore but upbeat about finishing. I had used two Gu gels, a few jellybeans, a Larabar and plenty of water and Gatorade. At the 26 mile marker I had enough gas in the tank to pick up the pace and finish strong. The finish line was crowded and runners coming in every few minutes so each of us had great crowd support and personal. My bib had my name on it and a lot of people were cheering me on, calling my name and giving high fives.
            I finished in 4 hours, 29 minutes and 39 seconds. My goal had been first to finish but had hopes of under 4 1/2 hours. I met that goal and was very happy to finish. I was able to get home and shower, go to dinner and even the next day explore a couple of parks. I was stiff and sore but no where as bad as I thought I would be. I was convinced I would be in bad shape so delayed my flight home until Tuesday. After a storm delayed flight I arrived back in West Virginia and was pain free on Thursday so I went for a 5 mile trail run. I felt the fatigue quickly but enjoyed it.
             The Donna Weekend is a great event with amazing community support. There is a 5k, a half and full marathon and an ultra run of 110 miles. The expo on Friday and Saturday before was amazing.
Parking and shuttles are efficient.
Shirt I wore During Marathon 
Overall I can enthusiastically recommend running this race. Its great for your first whole or half due to flat course.

Website https://breastcancermarathon.com/
Please consider fundraising

#rundonna #togetherwewill



.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hokie Half 2018

Crazy Eights 2018